Friday, May 14, 2010

Juicy Juice



Today I had to bring a snack to class to represent my philosophy of education in some way. I chose to bring in a bottle of juice. I'm sure the popular slogan, 100% Juice for 100% kids is just running over and over in your brain right now! And well, I guess these guys have a point.


My idea is that juice represents the teacher. There are many different kinds of juice, apple, orange, grape, kiwi, etc. There are also many different types of teachers. So, the thing about juice, is that it usually is not drunk directly from the bottle: it has to be poured. But into what? This is where the students come in. The teachers can pour(teach) their knowledge to many different students, but the students are all different. They come in different cups(or shapes or sizes). These cups affects the way the juice(the knowledge) is looked at in the future, or absorbed by the students. For instance some cups may have straws, so the juice is only absorbed a small bit at a time, while others may be huge and take in a bunch of knowledge all at once.

In essence, what I'm trying to say is that my philosophy of education involves acknowledgment of many different students. It is important to realize that every student receives and uses information differently, even if it comes from the same source.

Like the slogan says, Juice is for 100% of kids, just maybe not in equal ways or amounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment